Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rum Cake

I spent the better part of the day doing arts and crafts with my daughter and my middle child (son). We made random ornaments out of pipe cleaners and beads for our Christmas tree (which is already erected in our living room). I also, playing around, made a few flowers and a butterfly for good measure.

I'm trying to be proactive with spending time with the kids, even when it's not always one on one (like today). I do let them set the place, and come and go from the activity as they please. My two older boys wanted nothing to do with it, but that doesn't surprise me... as they are 9 and 10 years old. My middle child is seven, so he wanted to participate fleetingly.

We did get some bad news on Friday about him. He's been having troubles at school and came to find out that he has profound hearing loss in one ear, and some hearing loss in the other. Maybe knowing this, we can work on getting him the help he needs and that will improve his behavior and grades.

For today's cooking project, I donned my brand new apron and made rum cup cakes. They were tasty (the alcohol burns off, and anyways, I used extract instead of real rum). Of course, my house is a terrible mess after having the kids home for four days again, so I must finish feeding the baby and work at cleaning up at least a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment